CD Rom delivered FREE anywhere in the world direct from the supplier.
Volume I: The West Riding
Volume II: The North and East Ridings
with Langdale's 1822 Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire
The 1822 version of Baines' covers the whole of the West Riding, and the 1823 version of this book covers the whole of the North and East Riding. This CD contains the whole of both Volumes, plus the 1822 Langdales Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire. All of the books are machine searchable.
The format of the two Baines' books is a fairly standard "Topography/History and Directory" format, with the Directory sections being given after the description of each place.Volume I is divided into two sections: (i)Towns and (ii) Villages. In both volumes the Town/Village data is given in strict alphabetical order.
Volume II is in a single section, with some additional data on such items as Taxes etc.
Langdale's Topographical Dictionary, 1822:
This book contains no directories, only Topographical information. It is however comprehensive in its coverage, covering Towns, Villages and Hamlets, and in some cases giving single houses too. The information given is divided into three Ridings, the Ainsty and City of York being included with the West Riding. Also included is a list of magistrates and Deputy Lieutenants for each of the Ridings, with Officers of the Liberties where relevant.
At the back of the book is:
- a description of the Rivers and Canals,
- a list of the Viscounts and High Sheriffs of the county
- a list of the eminent men noticed in the book
- the names of Noblemen and Gentlemen who have seats in the county
The quality of the printing of this book is anything but good in some places and should really be scanned in photographic mode. However to do this requires two CD roms for this book alone due to the resulting files being so large, so it is presented to you as black and white with every page being readable but the text not being as good as I would have liked it to have been.
Included on the CD are 3 maps in Acrobat format:
- A detailed map of Yorkshire showing the locations of Town, Villages and Hamlets in the county, with some single houses.
- 3 maps showing the outline borders of the (ancient) parishes. One map for each of the Ridings.
- A small map showing the positions of the wapentakes.
What you get on a CD - click here for details