Banner Image

Gift Aid Declaration

If you are a UK taxpayer, The Society can claim the tax back on your membership if you complete a Gift Aid Declaration. If you haven't already done so, please fill in the Gift Aid Form on this page or download the Gift Aid Form and post the completed form to the Membership Secretary.

How you are helping The Metcalfe Society

The Metcalfe Society is a Registered Charity in the UK. This status allows The Society to reclaim from the Inland Revenue an amount of tax that applies to membership payments from members who are UK taxpayers. This provides an additional income to The Society at no cost to yourself whatsoever.

Who is eligible to give a Gift Aid Donation?

In order for The Society to gain this additional income, we ask that if you or your spouse pay UK Income Tax, whether on earnings, pension or investments (e.g. bank or building society interest, or tax credits on dividend income), or Capital Gains Tax, then please pay your membership as a ‘Gift Aid Donation’. Even if you only pay tax at the 10% starting rate, that tax can cover the tax to be reclaimed. However, if bank or building society interest has been reclaimed, then it must not be used to cover the tax on the donation.

How long does a Gift Aid Declaration last?

The Gift Aid Declaration can be made at any time and can be cancelled at any time, as there is no statutory requirement to donate for a fixed period of time. If, for any reason, you cease to be liable to pay Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax, then the Declaration ceases in the last year that tax is due.

For family membership, the Declaration must be made in the name of the taxpaying member. In the event of the death of the taxpaying member, the Declaration ceases. If after this the surviving member pays tax in his or her own right, then a Declaration can be completed for the following tax year.

How to make or update a Gift Aid Declaration

Simply complete the form on this page if you wish to make a new Gift Aid Declaration, update or cancel an existing declaration. The options are clearly listed to guide you.

Paying your annual membership

Please continue to pay your membership renewal each year as normal as directed on The Society’s Membership Renewal Form that is distributed with the December Mecca News and available to download here.

Higher Rate Taxpayers

Higher rate taxpayers should advise their own Tax Office of the Declaration, so that the appropriate tax relief can be given in either Code or Assessment. Alternately, they should claim the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate of tax in their Self Assessment return.


If you have any queries please contact either your own tax office or The Metcalfe Society Membership Secretary (see Contacts).

Thank you

We hope that many of you will decide to Gift Aid your subscriptions, as we are sure you will agree, it is a very painless way of increasing society funds.

You must be logged in to access the gift aid form.

Federation of Family History Societies Member Guild of One Name Studies Member Based in the Yorkshire Dales National Park Best Website 2009 Award, Federation of Family History Societies 2009 Elizabeth Simpson Award - Commended, Federation of Family History Societies

Established in 1980. UK Registered Charity No. 1000879.
Post: The Metcalfe Society, 17 Bailey Walk, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF4 3QW, UK
Email: | Telephone: +44 (0) 1924 260926 | Website: